Page 56 Game Redux

It’s time to play another Page 56 Game!! The first one was so much fun, I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to do another.

YAY!

Rules:

* Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence.
* Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

I’ll be taking a computer vacay this week and collecting sentences the whole time … I hope! So forward this link and tell your friends to play. We’ll write the story next week sometime.

Happy reading!

0 thoughts on “Page 56 Game Redux

1. beckycc

Here’s mine ….

“He’s looking for you,” Sticky whispered ever so quietly in Dave’s ear (as he’d been keeping a watchful eye on the little rascal since the monkey had landed with a thump on his fuzzy orange rump).

2. George

“Also, make sure that your children memorize your address and telephone number in case they get lost, and show them how to dial 911 in an emergency.”

Clearly, Beckstress, you sit closer to more interesting books.

3. Jeff Cornwell

“When Billy thought we were strong enough, we stepped up the pace, running with rubber tires, which felt like they’d just come off the shuttle or at least that big ole tractor out back.”

Lone Survivor by: Marcus Luttrell

4. Jessie

She came to thoroughly dislike the light-headed young fellows of the shop.

Sister Carrie, by Theodore Dreiser

5. Bethany

“In 1905 he was permitted to return to St. Petersburg.”

OK, this was in the Merriam Webster’s Encyclopedia of Literature, about someone named Ansky – who I am sure I should know, but unfortunately, the book is used to prop my laptop up higher on my desk. I don’t think I have ever even opened it before. Shame on me.

6. Donna

And unlike the cold winter months, when laundry is dried indoors and takes longer, summer is when clothing can be washed, dried, folded, and put away in a single day.

The Amish Cook at Home – Lovina Eicher

I’m just glad it was part of the narrative, not a recipe!

7. Claudia

Cornalia, Corneelija, Cornela, Cornelija, Corneleya.

*variations on the name “Cornelia”, from

20,001 Names For Baby ALWAYS the book next to my computer.

8. Adam

We had reached the country where the balsa tree grows and were to build timber to build our raft.
    Kon-Tiki by Thor Hyerdahl.

the best book ever!

9. Mary F.

“It’s a novel about a beautiful yet sensitive author whose spirit is crushed by her domineering editor.”

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

10. DeAnna

Every teacher of middle age or more can count up instances of highly successful former students who, as freshmen or sophomores, even juniors or seniors, seemed silly beyond all hope of reclamation. – John Gardner, On Becoming a Novelist.

11. Lisa

Creativity was an economic force long before the twentieth century.

The Rise of the Creative Class… and how it’s transforming work, leisure, community, & everyday life
    by, Richard Florida

12. Chris

In Des Moines, a live radio broadcast covered the progress of 600 men of the 168th Infantry from East First Street across the Grand Avenue Bridge to Union Station

— Army at Dawn, by Rick Atkinson

13. Vicki Clark

The other three — the Great Basin, the Mojave, and the Chihuahuan– are clasic rain-shadow deserts.

From Legends of the American Desert, by Shoumatoff

14. institutrice

“He is cute, but I can’t have a crush on him because he’s way too old, like twenty-eight or something.”

Vet Volunteers #1: Fight for Life by Laurie Halse Anderson

I’m at school cleaning up my classroom. I laughed out loud when I found the sentence! 😉

15. deuxfillestwogirls

As Mother dabbed a few tears of joy from her rosy cheeks and chuckled, “Spider legs!” one of us, as a final thought, said her fondest memory had to be the one of Mom cheerfully knitting us those slippers with the big pom-poms.

Scraps: Adventures in Scrapbooking by Wendy Bagley

16. eRin

Hit the mountain lion in the head, especially around the eyes and mouth.

The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook by Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht.

17. Nia

Soon it covered half the sky,and the solid mass was now broken by tiny eyes of light like shining stardust. (talking about Locusts)
    Things Fall apart– Chinua Achebe