The National Book Awards organizers have narrowed down the winners of the NBA (no, not basketball) from the last sixty years to six finalists for the best fiction. An impossible task, in my opinion. But they did pretty good.
They are …
• The Stories of John Cheever
• Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man
• William Faulkner’s Collected Stories
• Flannery O’Connor’s The Complete Stories
• Thomas Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow
• The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty
Not to brag or anything, but I’ve seen all of these in my public library. Some I’ve even held in my hand!
Just kidding. I’ve read all of these but one, which I tried but couldn’t finish. It did not earn my vote.
Go vote on your favorite until Oct 21. When you vote, you can see the results thus far. Very interesting. Also when you vote, if you enter your email address, you might win two tickets to the 60th National Book Awards on November 18, 2009 and two nights in the Marriott Hotel Downtown! That would be suh-WEET!
Who do you think I voted for? Which one didn’t I finish? Who did you vote for?