We’re all thankful for family and friends and good health, but I tend to overlook the little things in my life that make me happy and grateful each and every day. So here’s my list …
• people who know how to cut my hair
• air travel
• my car starts every time I ask it to
• paper books, digital books, and the people who write them
• Game Night, especially when we play Scattergories
• readily available food in my particular pyramid – fruits/veggies (with a special shout-out to sugar snap peas, red bell peppers, blueberries and Pink Lady apples), salmon, eggs, avocado, bacon, booze and chocolate
• people who buy my books
• people I don’t even know who say nice things about my books
• clean, tasty tap water
• basement storage for a lifetime of Christmas ornaments and other memorabilia (all with a story to tell), hundreds of boxes of photographic slides and a working projector on which to view them, an extra freezer, and wine by the case(s)
• xeriscape that doubles as zeroscape (I’ll concede this may not be what my neighbors are thankful for)
• plumbing, air conditioning, heat and electricity
• Jon Stewart, Eddie Izzard and Ellen deGeneres
• people I actually know who make me laugh
• newspaper advertisers so said newspapers can stay in business
• touring productions of Broadway musicals
• WordPress so I can proclaim to the world my love of goofy stuff …. like YOU!
What’s on your list?
4 thoughts on “Random Stuff I’m Thankful For As I Go About My Day”
Kleenex and people who can cut my hair are biggies.
Scrabble, solitaire, Angry Birds, the App where you shoot nasty pink bunnies with a bow and arrows, Mah Jong solitaire, most card games
Jules Vern, father of Steampunk
Alexandre Dumas, Kipling, Edgar Allen Poe, Andre Norton, Heinlein, Anne McCaffrey, The Bronte Sisters, Jane Austen, Stephen Jay Gould, Zane Grey, Charles Darwin, O’Henry, Mark Twain, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sir Walter Scott, Emily Dickinson, Shakespeare(who ever he was), Elizabeth Moon,
Betty Neels, Stephen Hawkings, Robert Frost, Walt Whitman, Roger Zelazny, Walter de la Mare, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Jane Aiken Hodge, Mary Stewart, James Herriot, Lewis Carroll, ben Johnson, Wordsworth, Emerson, Sandburg, Leigh Hunt, Roburt Burns, Christina Rossetti, Robert Browning, Shelly, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Tennyson, Sir Philip Sidney, William Ernest Henley, Louisa May Alcott, Longfellow, Hawthorne, J. L. McCreery, Tolkien, and numerous others.
Allison Krauss and Union Station, Woody Guthrie, Burl Ives, Mindy Smith, Capercaille, The Poozies, Clannad, Enya, The Irish Rovers, Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, U2, Sinead O’ Conner, Patsy Cline, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Johnny Horton, Marty Robbins, Nanci Griffith, Robert Plant, Judy Collins, Kate WolfPat Benatar, Alanis Morissette, Bonnie Raitt, James Taylor, Carol King, Tom Waite, Great Big Sea, Gillian Welch, Eurythmics, John Denver, Kingston Trio, Israel Kamakawiwo’ole, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, The Cardigans, Eric Clapton, The Cranberries, Tracy Chapman, John Cougar Mellencamp, Sting, KT Tunstall, Sara McLachlan, YoYo Ma, Alicia Keys, Heart, The Gin Blossoms, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Nine Inch Nails, REM, and numerous others.
New England Clam Chowder, enchiladas, tacos, turkey dinners, high tea at the Empress in Victoria BC, dirty rice, red beans and rice, gumbo, mince meat pie(the kind with meat), Finnish pig cookies, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, Chocolate chip cookies, salmon, pickles, olives, chicken-fried deer steaks, abalone, calimari steaks, key lime pie, apple pie, Yorkshire tea, Irish breakfast tea, ice cream and numerous others.
Art supplies and the time to play with them.
My phone, My Kindle, My MP3 player
All my relatives who I like, which is most of them.
My synesthesia, because the more color the better.
Cameos, Dolls, Copper Art Jewelry
All my friends, past and present, and all the people I will come to know as friends.
The beach, the mountains, the desert, the meadows, the forests, and every thing in between. It all lies in beauty.
Shy deer, loud crows, and murderous hummingbirds.
Ohmygosh … I forgot enchiladas! Great list, Pamela!
Totally agree with the people who know how to cut my hair!! And the other stuff. And chocolate, and pie. And chocolate pie…
And people who give you cravings for pie ….